Marshfield man dead after injuries sustained in fire
MARSHFIELD— A Marshfield man, Garland Buchanan age 40, has died as a result of injuries sustained in a fire that took place Aug.26, on the 400 block of W. 6th street according to a news release from the Marshfield Fire and Rescue Department.
The department said Buchanan died Tuesday at a burn center in Madison.
Deputy Fire Chief Roy Dolens said that the fire started in the upstairs apartment of the building, where Buchanan lived, and has been ruled as accidental.
Dolens said the fire “started in a mattress and was related to smoking materials, cigarettes.”
Buchanan was transported from the scene of the fire to St. Joseph’s Hospital and later to the Madison Burn Center where he died.
Marshfield Fire and Rescue had a response time of 4 minutes and 18 seconds to the fire, and had it put out within 18 minutes. No occupants were in the building when the fire department arrived.
The man in the downstairs apartment of the building called in the fire. He sought his own treatment for injuries and has been released from the hospital.
Marshfield’s last fatal fire occurred in 2005, according to the department.