Fire destroys Marshfield mobile home
BY MIKE WARREN
MARSHFIELD — A child playing with matches has left a Marshfield mobile home – with no immediate hydrant access – a total loss.
Marshfield Fire and Rescue Department crews responded shortly after 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 30 to a structure fire at 2215 Maple Ave., Lot 497. Crews were told there was a fire in a bedroom of the home, owned by Antonia Ruacho.
Marshfield Fire responded with two engines, one ambulance and eight personnel. While enroute heavy smoke and flames could be seen from a distance and a MABAS box alarm was called, getting mutual aid from Hewitt Fire Department and Central RIT and REHAB.
The home was occupied at the time of the fire and all occupants evacuated the home. Upon arrival heavy fire and smoke was present, with the heaviest fire at the rear of the home. An aggressive interior fire attack was conducted at the main entrance and fire crews worked their way to the room of origin, determined later to be a back bedroom. While an interior attack was being conducted a second line was used to assist the interior team with fire on the outside of the structure, initially attacking fire at the gas meter that was causing flames to grow from outside the structure. The fire was under control within 20 minutes of arrival, but extensive salvage and overhaul was required. Utilities were secured by We Energies and Marshfield Utilities.
One minor injury was reported. An evaluation of two of the home’s occupants that were in the structure at the time of fire was done with no transports. No firefighter injuries were reported.
Heavy fire, heat and smoke damage was found throughout most of the home, with the remaining areas unaffected directly by fire receiving extreme heat, smoke and water damages. The rear of the structure was completely consumed by fire, causing flames to burn through floor areas restricting an interior attack at the room of origin. Fire was contained to the building of origin. Due to the amount of damage and extent of damages throughout the residence it is considered a total loss.
The fire was in a non-fire hydrant area within a mobile home park. Due to this issue, relay pumping operations to get a water supply to the fire scene were conducted, according to the incident report.