Marshfield home damaged by fire
For the Hub City Times
MARSHFIELD – A Marshfield family has been displaced, after a fire caused $62,000 of damage in their Western Street home.
On Jan. 28, shortly before 2:30 p.m., Marshfield Fire & Rescue was called to the 800 block of Western Street for the report of smoke coming from the roof of a home.
At 14:19 hours on January 28, 2022, Marshfield Fire and Rescue Department was dispatched for smoke coming from the roof of a home.
“Upon arrival smoke was coming from the soffit area of a single-story ranch home. All occupants were confirmed to be out of the home,” a department release stated.
“Fire crews made an aggressive attic attack which extinguished the fire. All fire damage was contained to the attic with smoke and water damage present to the main floor.
“Seven occupants were displaced as a result of the fire. The Red Cross will be aiding the family. Assisting departments were Hewitt Fire Department, Central RIT and Rehab, Marshfield Utilities, and WE Energies.
“Fire investigators from the Marshfield Fire and Rescue Department determined the origin of the fire was in the attic and the cause was an overloaded electrical conductor on an over-fused circuit.”
The structure suffered fire and smoke damage to the attic and water damage to the first floor.
Preliminary estimates on damage are $60,000 to the structure and $2,000 to contents.
City property records indicate that the home, located at 820 Western Street, is owned by Trevor Oertel, of Robin Road, Marshfield.
Cold weather created slippery conditions and put strain on the department’s equipment.