Chemical spill cleared at Laird Center
By Hub City Times staff
MARSHFIELD – A chemical spill inside a laboratory on the Marshfield Clinic campus was cleared quickly on Oct. 21.
Marshfield Fire & Rescue Department Deputy Chief Troy Wieland says HAZMAT crews were called at approximately 1:27 p.m. for a spill of nitric acid.
According to Weiland, lab employees at the Melvin Laird Center on the Clinic Campus were pouring some of the acid into a container when an unexpected chemical reaction occurred, causing a flush of orange-colored gas. Two floors of the building were evacuated.
The spilled acid was quickly contained and isolated in a fume hood within the building. The interior atmosphere was ventilated, checked, and cleared by crews. The acid was taken away and crews cleared the scene shortly before 3 p.m.