Letter to the editor: Reader endorses Nancy Stencil for 86th District
I am speaking as a retired public school teacher, a grandparent, and a taxpayer. I have great concerns about John Spiros as the state representative for Assembly District 86. Mr. Spiros has not shown support for Wisconsin’s children and families. He has demonstrated this in seven distinct ways:
1. He voted to cut $800 million from public schools over the next 10 years.
2. He voted several times against accountability for voucher schools that receive taxpayer money. Taxpayers deserve to know their money is going to programs that work.
3. He voted against voucher schools having to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
4. If a voucher school closes midschool year, Mr. Spiros voted against requiring that school to return the state’s investment. Taxpayers deserve better.
5. Spiros voted to drastically reduce teacher qualifications and make Wisconsin the only state in the nation that licenses teachers without a bachelor’s degree.
6. He voted against taking meaningful action on student college debt.
7. Spiros voted to cut $250 million from the UW system. This is the smallest contribution the state has ever made in the UW’s history. Our university system is one of the best in the nation. It brings students, money, and jobs from all over the country. It cannot survive without state funding.
As a teacher, I know that quality teachers make quality schools, and quality schools make students productive taxpayers and community leaders. Our state’s investment in education brings benefits way beyond money.
Nancy Stencil believes this completely. I support Nancy Stencil as representative for Assembly District 86.
I urge people in the district to think about what is at stake and realize how things can be different under Nancy’s leadership.