Fire causes extensive damage but no injuries
By Adam Hocking
MARSHFIELD — No one was hurt in a fire that caused extensive damage at 306 W. Cleveland St. on Monday.
The Marshfield Fire and Rescue Department responded to the fire, which occurred at 3:53 p.m. on Monday, according to a release from the department. The department was initially dispatched due to reports of smoke coming from the eaves of the structure.
Firefighters first entered the upstairs apartment of the building, found nothing, and subsequently made entry into the downstairs apartment, the release said. Fire was “found smoldering” in the downstairs apartment’s kitchen, and it was extinguished.
No residents were found in either apartment, but a dog was rescued from the downstairs apartment. The release said that the fire was reported when the upstairs tenant returned home. That tenant removed his dog from the upstairs apartment and called 911.
The release said that crews were at the scene of the fire within four minutes of the call. The cause, the release said, has been determined as “careless use of smoking materials.”
The upstairs apartment sustained some smoke damage, and the downstairs apartment sustained fire damage. The release estimated property loss at a value of $25,000 and the value of apartment contents damaged at $20,000.